9. Best Innovation for LTE to 5G Evolution
This new category reflects the industry’s next big evolution – from LTE or 4G towards 5G – including light-speed Mobile Broadband, Network Transformation, Optimised content delivery and IoT*, and as yet a host of unforeseen applications…
LTE and LTE-Advanced networks have played a significant role in providing data services to mobile customers around the world and are now well established in leading markets. The advent of further network upgrades in the move to 5G will provide even lower latency, incredible reliability and super-fast speeds and usher in a range of benefits to a whole host of businesses in vertical and adjacent industries and citizens alike.
The award for Best Innovation for LTE to 5G Evolution aims to highlight the next wave of innovation and visions for new mobile applications, products and services, use cases, new business models and new opportunities that advance the value of mobile technology, moving beyond simple connectivity, pushing the boundaries of what might be possible with mobile in the near future.
What are the big ideas that make the leap from being an LTE mobile broadband network to a network of the future? What new services can be realized to make the most of the advanced capabilities that an evolved LTE network and 5G offer? Or even how will traditional vertical industries will be revolutionized by the capabilities offered by evolved LTE networks and 5G?
*See also additional category for IoT
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 19 April 2017 (at 5pm CST). The Shortlist will be published at the beginning of June 2017. The Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai on Wednesday 28th June 2017.
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and Frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all players in the Mobile Broadband eco-system, and all participating organisations that are developing and innovating a wide range of advanced mobile broadband solutions, services and contributing to the standards process toward 5G. Entrants must demonstrate real world demonstration – rather than pure concepts – specifically that the entry is either commercially deployed or in a live pilot or trial up to end of March 2017.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however due to the nature of this sector, it is by no means exhaustive. We very much welcome entries from partnerships or a combination of these entities.
- Mobile Network Operators deploying LTE and demonstrating bold and aggressive strategies for the next phase technology evolution toward 5G
- Infrastructure suppliers developing evolving next generation equipment, products and solutions
- Transport, Financial, Healthcare, Retail, Logistics, Automotive and other service platforms
- Entries that have been developed as a result of partnerships between Operators and third parties demonstrating advanced services for opening up new user segments
- Component, chip set, micro-processor, memory, manufacturers
- Software developers
- Innovators in the mobile ecosystem
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- What is the genuinely unique or innovative about the entry?
- What is the industry challenge it is addressing?
- What is the current status and level of support in terms of the industry, customers etc?
- Why is it potentially a big step forward for the technology? How does it empower value creation for customers, partners or the broader eco-system?
- What impact will it have on cost and power consumption?
- What capacity increases can be envisioned?
- Is the application, product, service, solution scaleable?
- What can be achieved in terms of tangible transmission speed, latency, quality of service or other technology advances?
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
- What is name of your entry to the Best Innovation for LTE to 5G Evolution category? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards materials and publicity. (approx 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx 25 words)
- Please describe the nature of the entry and the industry challenge it addresses? i.e. how does it actually work, and what is the network or user proposition? Please describe it as accurately and simply as possible (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that the subject of the entry was either deployed in a trial or pilot, or demonstrated by end March 2016? (approx. 100 words)
- What is the current status and level of support in terms of the industry, customers etc.? (approx. 100 words)
- What is the genuinely unique or innovative about the entry? (approx. 100 words)
- What makes the innovation stand out from the way LTE and LTE-A is deployed or used today? (approx. 150 words)
- To what extent could it drive down the cost curve for mobile deployment? (approx. 150 words)
- How does it empower value creation for vertical industries, what new capabilities will it unlock? (approx. 250 words)
- What impact will it have on reducing cost and lowering power consumption? approx. (150 words)
- What is the business model and how is it scaleable? approx. 150 words)
- What levels of capacity increases, transmission speeds, latency, quality of service, power consumption or other technology advances that can be envisioned through it? (approx. 250 words)