5. Best Breakthrough Mobile App for Asia
For the Best Breakthrough Mobile App for Asia, we are seeking genuine technical, commercial, cultural or business model innovation in an app that benefits users, with unprecedented new functionality, features, content, capabilities, value or convenience.
It recognises developers that are moving the app experience and market to the next level in terms of technology and business model leadership in areas such as: modular design or creative and intuitive UIs, augmented reality, social media integration, innovative new thinking for the cloud, new commerce solutions, the use of device functionality such as sensors, VR, AR, UHD or 360˚ cameras, task oriented apps, apps that serve and drive the Internet of Things, or unlock compelling new mobile based capabilities for users, for example.
The App in question should be new i.e. introduced in 2016 or early 2017 (by end March 2017). We don’t necessarily need to see success in the market, yet but potential should be demonstrated. We want our judges to spot the trending App before it trends. Innovation, the potential for longevity and a balanced business plan are the highest -ranking aspects we are looking for.
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 19 April 2017 (at 5pm CST). The Shortlist will be published at the beginning of June 2017. The Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai on Wednesday 28th June 2017.
The process to enter your App for this category is very simple. All you need to do is:
- Provide a short description of the App, together with a list key features, and detail of the specific reasons why the app should be considered, the most innovative in the Asian market, and any other information you consider relevant to making that case. The app must be commercially available on a major app store in at least one country or market in Asia
- A link to where it can be downloaded from your website, or one of the major app stores (along with a free access or redemption code if the app is not free, for our judges to download it)
- A link to a short video (max 3 minutes) about the app on an open video platform
- A link to a key page on your website with more information about the App
This award category is open to all application developers and others in the mobile ecosystem that develop mobile device based Apps. The app must have been live, implemented and commercially available for users to access or buy during and up to the end of March 2017, in at least one Asian Market. It must also utilise, support, deploy or be accessible through mobile technologies based on open industry standards.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however, it is by no means exhaustive.
Eligible entrants include:
- Application & Software Developers
- Mobile Operators
- Content providers and brand owners
- Service providers from any vertical sector or industry
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows:
- What’s new, different or unique in terms of the technology, business model, capabilities or cultural experiences?
- Complexity of the above converted into Simplicity for the user
- Makes good use of mobility and network resources and capabilities
- Great quality design, compelling and sticky experience
- Apps that aren’t gimmicky/ novel or short term
- Utilisation of device hardware – the Smartphones or Connected Device’s key features and functions
- UI design, appeal, stickiness and ease of use
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the name of your Most Innovative Mobile App? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity. (approx. 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx. 25 words)
- Please provide a short description of the App, together with details of type of content available, with key features, latest innovations and information on where the app is available (approx. 250 words)
- Please provide a link to where the app can be downloaded from one of the major app stores (approx. 100 words)
- If the app is a paid app, please provide a free access or redemption code (approx. 100 words)
- Please provide a link to a video about the app on an open video platform (approx. 100 words)
- Please provide a website link for the app (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that the app was, or will be live, implemented and available in at least one Asian market for clients, customers, organisations or end users to buy or access during and up to end March 2017, and in which markets or countries? (approx. 100 words)