8. Best Mobile Technology Breakthrough – Asia
This category recognises the many mobile technology advances and industry leadership achieved in Asia, developed for or deployed in any Asian market.
It captures breakthrough technology enhancement in the entire mobile ecosystem – a very wide ranging space that includes components, microprocessors, memory, chips sets, screens, audio, batteries, m2m devices, or indeed network technologies to name but a few and even looks at design innovation and form-factors. It is aimed at recognising the tremendous diversity of the mobile eco-system as it continues to innovate and add new dimensions to the customer experience.
The Best Mobile Technology Breakthrough award highlights the contribution that Mobile Operators, manufacturers, and suppliers make to increase mobile usage, expand the user experience, and help expand business opportunities. See below for examples.
- Support to handset enrichment such as new screen technology, browsers, operating systems, memory, battery life extensions, m2m devices, usability (please note Smartphones and have their own category – 9 & 10).
- Support to multi language environments
- All forms of components and semi-conductors including Chip Sets and memory, used in the entire mobile eco-system (not merely in devices).New designs, hardware and form-factor breakthroughs or development in materials leading to lighter, cheaper, longer lasting products
- Application of new sciences in the mobile eco-system
- Technology advancements in the operations and maintenance of mobile networks including tools and systems
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 12 April 2017 (at 5pm CST). The Shortlist will be published at the beginning of June 2017. The Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai on Wednesday 28th June 2017.
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and Frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all players in the Mobile eco-system as below, and all participating organisations that are developing a wide range of advanced mobile broadband solutions. The subject of the entry must utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards. Entrants must also demonstrate “Live” implementation, specifically that the entry is in “Live” commercial service and operating and available in at least one Asian market up to the end of March 2017. This must include at least one full commercial deployment carrying live customers or demonstrable use of the service or platform. Trials or Beta System deployments are not considered to be eligible.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however due to the nature of this sector, it is by no means exhaustive. We very much welcome entries from partnerships or a combination of these entities.
Eligible entrants include:
- Mobile Network Operators
- Component, chip set, micro-processor, memory, manufacturers
- Software developers
- Network Equipment and Infrastructure vendors and suppliers
- Transmission suppliers
- Innovators in the mobile industry
The judges will be looking at how well entries meet the key criteria, as follows
- What will be the impact on the mobile industry of the new technology?
- In what demonstrable ways does the new technology enhance the end-use experience?
- What are the innovative or unique features of your technology?
- To what extent does your technology change the economics of the mobile industry?
- Is the new technology applicable to multiple markets on a global scale?
- Entries must demonstrate “Live” implementation, specifically operating and available up to the end of March 2017
- Entries must utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form. Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the brand name of your best Mobile Technology Breakthrough – Asia? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards publicity and materials. (approx 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx 25 words)
- Please confirm that the subject of the entry was deployed, or will be, in “live” service or implementation and available on at least one Asian market for clients, customers, organisations or end users to buy or access up to end March 2017, and in which specific markets or countries? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, supports, deploys or is accessible through mobile (cellular) technologies based on open industry standards? (approx. 100 words)
- If this product or service is a new release or update to an existing version, please explain the key differences and advances available in this release compared to the previous version. Please note that it is only the new release enhanced features or functions that the judges will consider. (approx. 100 words)
- What are the key benefits for the mobile industry of your technology breakthrough? (approx 250 words)
- Please describe what is unique, new or innovative about your product or solution? (approx 250 words)
- In what demonstrable ways does your new technology enhance the end-user experience? (approx 250 words)
- To what extent does your technology change the economics of the mobile industry? (approx 250 words)
- Please give additional background information to support your entry. For example, why is it good value for customers and, specifically, what evidence is there that a large user following has been established. (approx 250 words)