10. Best IoT Innovation for Mobile Networks
This category aims to identify and recognise innovative IoT (Internet of Things) devices, products, solutions and services that utilise new technology developments in, and standards for mobile networks.
Entries are sought that address specific new features of mobile technology such as power saving, small data rates, lower cost devices and better indoor coverage which provide connectivity and services that could not be previously achieved. Such services could be provided to various vertical markets including for example, as well as many others:
- Transport: Traffic Management, Parking
- Public Safety: Street Lighting, Signs
- Healthcare: wearable bands or clothing
- Environment: Air Quality, Weather Sensing, Flood Control
- Utilities: Metering, Waste Management, Sewerage
- Industrial: production facilities
- Agriculture: crop management, soil monitoring
These might include, for example, and among many others – mobile products, services and applications that enable devices and sensors that only require to give a small amount of data, once a day, and requires a long battery life in a secure, scalable and standardised network. Effectively this means connecting machines and sensors that could not be connected previously.
Judges will be looking for entries that demonstrate genuine innovation and new thinking to meet these challenges, which should not be conceptual but actual implementations to date in either emerging markets or advanced economies of Asia. Entries can either address specific challenges in a singular approach, or demonstrate a combination of applications, products or services.
In essence, we are looking for product, technology, service or application innovation and/or new mobile business models that will create new markets that previously were not technically or commercially viable.
Specifically, entries should demonstrate the best use of new 3GPP (Release 13) standardised Mobile Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) technologies for LTE CatM, Narrow-Band-IoT or EC-GSM-IoT technologies.
Entry Deadlines & Key Dates
The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 12 April 2017 (at 5pm CST). The Shortlist will be published at the beginning of June 2017. The Winners will be announced at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai on Wednesday 28th June 2017.
Below you will find information on eligibility, criteria, supporting materials as well as the questions that you will be asked on the entry form.
Please also refer to the Rules of Entry and Frequently asked questions sections for additional information. To begin your entry, click the ‘Enter Here’ button, and complete the registration information. Once underway, you can save, return to and amend your entry at any time until you formally submit.
The judges will review and score your entry on the basis of the information that you provide in answer to the questions, so please be as accurate and succinct as possible.
Note on The Importance of Video as part of your entry: While you can also add supporting materials in the form of documents, pictures and presentations within the entry form, a short video (of maximum 3 minutes) linked to your submission will help our judges significantly, in terms of visualising the use case and understanding the innovation and partner, client or user benefits.
This award is open to all organisations that provide mobile products, devices, services, solutions, and applications. The subject of the entry must utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on 3GPP (Release 13) open industry standards i.e. including: Low Power Wide Area Networks ( LPWAN ) e.g. Narrowband IOT, LTE CatM, and EC-GSM-IoT technologies
Entrants must also demonstrate “Live” implementation, specifically that the entry is either operating commercially in at least one Asian market, or in a live pilot or trial up in the region to end March 2017.
Below are some examples of organisations and entities that this category could be appropriate for, however due to the nature of this sector, it is by no means exhaustive. We very much welcome entries from partnerships or a combination of these entities.
- Mobile Network Operators
- Infrastructure providers
- Device and Sensor manufacturers
- Application & Software Developers
- Governments & Local/ National Municipality Authorities
- Industrial and Agricultural companies
- Emergency Services and Public Safety/ Security Organisations
- Environmental, Weather & Traffic Agencies
- Transport, Delivery & Logistics, Utility & Energy companies
- Retail, Leisure, Sports, Entertainment Event & Stadia Organisations
- Academia, Universities, Foundations, NGOs & Associations
- Architects, City Planners, Engineering companies
- Healthcare service providers
Judges will be looking for LPWA technology submissions that:
- Demonstrate new breakthroughs that create new business models or solutions that could not be achieved before
- Demonstrate “Live” implementation through a pilot or commercial implementation specifically up to the end of 2016
- Provide evidence of tangible, measurable beneficial impact to people and industry
- Demonstrates efficient, intelligent services that enhances business and revenues,
- Demonstrate genuine technology, application, service or business model innovation
- Utilise, support, deploy or are accessible via mobile technologies based on open industry standards
- Can show evidence of success in terms of meeting stakeholder objectives
- Are secure, and yet non-intrusive, in terms of protecting sensitive data and citizen’s privacy through data collection or use.
You can submit additional materials to support your entry through direct upload on the entry form.
Please keep supporting information submitted to a maximum of:
- A link to one x 3 minute (maximum) video
- Up to three x 1 page documents (word, pdf, ppt) with further information, images, graphics etc.
- Up to three x web pages (which should be very specific to the entry) linked by URLs
Video: Please provide a URL link to your video on the entry form (e.g. via YouTube, Vimeo or other public, English language video platforms) and if required, please make sure you provide a password. Videos should ideally be in the English language or with English subtitles.
Other supporting information Documents can include data, extracts from analysts’ reports, testimonials or press articles, graphics etc. Please do make sure this supporting information is succinct and clear.
Web pages: If pointing judges to a website within your supporting materials or entry, please include a URL which is to very specific information relating to your entry, up to a maximum of three web pages, as judges will not have time to search websites looking for the pertinent information.
The on-line entry form includes an upload facility for you to provide the above links and documents. You will have the ability to upload three additional files to accompany your entry. These can be pdfs, jpegs, Word documents or PowerPoint, but please, as above, keep these relevant to your entry.
Preview of Entry Form Questions
On the entry form, in addition to submitting contact and company information, you will be asked to answer the following questions, (Please note the maximum text length for your answers including spaces are shown in brackets below):
- What is the name of your Best IoT Innovation for new Mobile Networks entry? Please note the name given here will be used in all awards materials and publicity. (approx. 25 words)
- Is this a joint entry? If so, who are the partnering organisations? (approx. 25 words)
- Please describe the nature of the entry and the challenge it addresses? (approx. 100 words) i.e. how does it actually work, and what is the user proposition? Please describe it as accurately and simply as possible (approx. 100 words)
- State the benefits of the solution and how previously it was not possible to deploy without using the new technology (approx. 150 words)
- Please confirm that the subject of the entry was deployed commercially, available or as a customer pilot in live implementation and available on in at least one Asian Market by end March 2017? (approx. 100 words)
- Please confirm that your entry utilises, deploys through standardised 3GPP (Release 13) mobile – LPWA- technologies? (approx. 100 words)
- Please provide evidence of tangible, measurable impact to users of the service, to partners or clients, such as city stakeholders through deployment to date? (approx. 250 words)
- Please describe key benefits to users or clients, such as stakeholders? (approx. 250 words)
- Please describe the specific technology, business model or other innovation of the entry? (approx. 250 words)
- Please describe how the entry has been designed to scale, and be sustainable in the future? (approx. 250 words)
- How you have addressed privacy and security concerns, if appropriate? (approx. 250 words)